Knitted Spring Mouse (Jean Greenhowe)

I don't remember when I started knitting this mouse. I made several of the toys from Jean Greenhowe's excellent 'Knitted Animals' booklet back in the early 1990s when my sons were young, and liked an ever-expanding selection of soft toys. I made a frog, an owl; I think I even made the Puss in Boots.

However the four mice, one for each season, didn't really appeal to them. I thought they were rather cute, and probably began making it about ten years ago. I didn't have a great selection of yarns, and used some rather knobbly curly wool for the apron. But for some reason, although I stuffed both the head and the body, I never finished it.

After completing other projects, I decided I'd finish the mouse.  I was pleased to note that, rather than using cardboard for the base, I'd used some stiff fabric, making it suitable for a child's toy. I don't know how well the shape would hold if it had to be washed, but at least it wouldn't disintegrate.

I didn't like the original apron I'd knitted, so I found some scraps of cream yarn and made another one - it took about ten minutes - and also a little cap.

I decided not to make the accessories (a duster and broom) since I don't plan on making the other mice, and don't suppose I'll display this one anywhere. I'm not sure I particularly like the result; the mouse's head seems to stick back a bit too far, and the overall result is nowhere near as cute as the picture in the booklet.

But at least I completed it!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bonding Squares for premature babies

Knitted Nativity (Jean Greenhowe)

Scarecrow