Kitten (Jean Greenhowe)

This is another project which I started some years ago. I don't know exactly when, but probably about ten years ago.  It's called, simply, 'kitten' in the Jean Greenhowe 'Knitted Animals' booklet from which I knitted many toys for my sons, back in the 1990s.

I knitted this not with the recommended double knitting yarn, but with some rather thicker wool I had bought for something else. At the time, living in a new neighbourhood, I had no idea where I could buy yarn other than random small balls from the thrift store. But I had some thicker wool in cream, and used that. I don't remember what size of needles I used.

For some reason I had mostly finished the kitten body, and had stuffed and sewn it together, even including the facial features which I tend to leave until the end. But I had not sewn the tail in place, nor had I knitted the cushion.  Perhaps this is because I don't like pink, but couldn't decide on an appropriate colour for the cushion.

Whatever the reason, the unfinished kitten sat in in my knitting box until I decided to finish it today. I used some turquoise double knitting wool for the cushion, which I was able to knit in about half an hour. It's in two square pieces, so was very quick to knit. I used 3.25mm needles rather than the recommended 3mm, to make it slightly bigger.

Sewing it together and finishing the kitten took about ten minutes. I used the same turquoise yarn to make a twisted cord for a bow around the kitten's neck. I thought the result was rather cute.

cream knitted kitten on a turquoise cushion

I have no idea what I'll do with it, but it's joined my other completed projects and is one I might do again, experimenting with different colours.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bonding Squares for premature babies

Knitted Nativity (Jean Greenhowe)

Scarecrow