Zig-zag knitted ball

Having knitted a soft pink and grey ball for my infant granddaughter, I thought I'd do a smaller one for my almost-three-year-old grandson, so he also has something that may be thrown or rolled in the house.

In the same trio of knitted balls in my Paton's 'more bazaar items' booklet, one was supposed to be knitted in chunky yarn on larger needles. I decided to use double knitting and my favourite 3.25mm needles (10 in old style UK measurement) so that the result would be smaller.  I'm not usually sexist about colours, but since I like turquoise and I had some available, I opted for turquoise and grey.

The pattern involved five identical panels, and they were rather easier to knit than those of the diamond motif ball.  Each one took me around 20-25 minutes and by the fourth one, I knew what I was doing and barely glanced at the pattern. Sewing together was straightforward, and the result not too bad:

turquoise and grey knitted zig-zag ball from the Paton's 'more bazaar items' booklet

The grey amounts look bigger than the turquoise; this may be because, although both balls of yarn were labelled as double knitting, they were different brands and the grey felt thicker than the turquoise. It didn't seem to matter.

The circumference is about 38cm (15 inches). This photo attempts to show the way the five panels meet at the top.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bonding Squares for premature babies

Knitted Nativity (Jean Greenhowe)

Scarecrow